Cambridge Australia Scholarships offers scholarships for Australian graduates of outstanding academic merit to study for a PhD degree at University of Cambridge. Each scholarship is tenable for three years and covers:
- University fees;
- A maintenance allowance at the single student rate set for graduate admission; and
- A contribution towards a return airfare to the UK.
Up to ten competitive scholarships are awarded each year by Cambridge Australia Scholarships. The scholarships have been made possible through the generosity of a number of Cambridge alumni and others in Australia, in partnership with the Cambridge Commonwealth, European and International Trust.
Note: Some scholarships are tied to specific colleges or have a strong preference for a given college.
[view donors and scholarships]
To be eligible applicants must:
- Be an Australian citizen or permanent resident;
- Have a degree from a recognised Australian university; and
- Have gained admission to the University of Cambridge to undertake a PhD degree.
Generally, successful applicants for our PhD scholarships have been awarded (or are likely to achieve) a First Class Honours degree or equivalent. In the case of a research or course-work Master’s degree, the overall quality of performance must also be of an equivalent standing.
Applicants do not need to have fully completed their course to apply to the University of Cambridge, but must be near completion—e.g., one to two semesters remaining. If your application is successful you will be issued with a conditional offer that depends on your successful completion of an Australian degree to a suitably high standard. The Australian degree must be completed before students can commence at the University of Cambridge.
Successful Candidates will be expected to:
- Keep us informed of your academic and other activities at the end of each term and on completion of your course; and
- Allow us to publicise your achievements.
On completion of your course, you will be expected to:
- Encourage others to apply for Cambridge Australia Scholarships;
- Meet with past, current and prospective Scholars; and
- Raise and make contributions to the Scholarship fund where possible.
For further information on how and when to apply for entry to University of Cambridge and Cambridge Australia scholarships click here